ØMQ Manual - ØMQ/2.1.11
zmq_connect - connect a socket
int zmq_connect (void *socket, const char *endpoint);
The zmq_connect() function shall connect the socket referenced by the socket argument to the endpoint specified by the endpoint argument.
The endpoint argument is a string consisting of two parts as follows: transport ://address. The transport part specifies the underlying transport protocol to use. The meaning of the address part is specific to the underlying transport protocol selected.
The following transports are defined:
- local in-process (inter-thread) communication transport, see zmq_inproc(7)
- local inter-process communication transport, see zmq_ipc(7)
- unicast transport using TCP, see zmq_tcp(7)
- pgm, epgm
- reliable multicast transport using PGM, see zmq_pgm(7)
With the exception of ZMQ_PAIR sockets, a single socket may be connected to multiple endpoints using zmq_connect(), while simultaneously accepting incoming connections from multiple endpoints bound to the socket using zmq_bind(). Refer to zmq_socket(3) for a description of the exact semantics involved when connecting or binding a socket to multiple endpoints.
The connection will not be performed immediately but as needed by ØMQ. Thus a successful invocation of zmq_connect() does not indicate that a physical connection was or can actually be established.
The zmq_connect() function shall return zero if successful. Otherwise it shall return -1 and set errno to one of the values defined below.
- The endpoint supplied is invalid.
- The requested transport protocol is not supported.
- The requested transport protocol is not compatible with the socket type.
- The ØMQ context associated with the specified socket was terminated.
- The provided socket was invalid.
- No I/O thread is available to accomplish the task.
Connecting a subscriber socket to an in-process and a tcp transport
/* Create a ZMQ_SUB socket */ void *socket = zmq_socket (context, ZMQ_SUB); assert (socket); /* Connect it to an in-process transport with the address 'my_publisher' */ int rc = zmq_connect (socket, "inproc://my_publisher"); assert (rc == 0); /* Connect it to the host server001, port 5555 using a TCP transport */ rc = zmq_connect (socket, "tcp://server001:5555"); assert (rc == 0);
This ØMQ manual page was written by Martin Sustrik <moc.mpb052|kirtsus#moc.mpb052|kirtsus> and Martin Lucina <ks.anletok|otam#ks.anletok|otam>.